I love dessert!! Ask anyone. But like.. HOW CAN YOU NOT? It is a MUST... how can you complete your meal without a sweet finish?! Even if its a piece of dark chocolate with a glass of wine. Rant over.
Memorial Day Weekend: a long weekend remembering those who have fought and served for our freedom. This holiday really is important to my family, having so many of my family members who serve and have served. In honor, many, including my family, celebrate with bbqs, beach trips and vacations. Cheers to the unofficial kick-off to summer! Although, there's no such thing as a weekend, let alone a long weekend for fitness professionals. #workedallweekend. I tried to keep the spirit alive. By cooking my favorite summer bbq dishes. Along with having pasta salad, ears of corn and watermelon in the house- I baked a summery, berry pie.
I love me some pie. Any kind. Warm or chilled, with or without ice cream. I would rather pie than a cake (unless it is ice cream cake or ice-box cake). This pie totally finished off this weekends menu perfectly. Looking forward to sharing this one with ya!
Note: TBH I haven't mastered the PERFECT, flaky and delicious, CLEAN pie crust. I wanted the real deal so I made sure it was a GREAT one.
- 1 1/2 cup berries (I used blueberries + Strawberries) *UPDATED there was a type-o OOPS
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (sub, maple syrup or coconut sugar)
- 1 lemons zest, 1/2 its juice
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 graham crackers (crushed)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (quick outs works well too)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (sub coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 stick of butter, cold & diced
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 pre-made pie crust in tin (I used vegan, premade, frozen from BiRite. Brand called Maple Lane Bakery!)
- Preheat your oven at 370 degrees.
- For the crumble, mix all the dry ingredients. Put aside.
- For the filling, cut the strawberries into quarters. Mix together all your berries in a bowl. add your lemon juice and zest. Then add the dry ingredients.
- Before using a raw, pre-made crust, remember to poke holes on the bottom with a fork.
- Add your filling.
- Incorporate your cold, diced butter with your crumble mixture.
- Top your pie with crumble mixture.
- Place your pie on a cookie sheet for support then place in the middle of your warm oven rack.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes. You should see the filling boil & bubble. I eventually moved mine to the lower rack and let it cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- It is ready when you get a golden brown crust and crumble.
- Let cool for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Serve warm and/or with vanilla ice cream!
I hope you enjoy this pie. Like all my recipes, add your own flare! Be creative. DO something wacky. Share it with your loved ones. Please share with me your testimonials, creations and thoughts!