One of my favorite meals hands down is tomato soup with a side of grilled cheese, grilled cheese croutons, and/or sour cream with chives! I mean, come one... this is comfort food, home-y, love in a cup-- a non negotiable. The plus side, it is so quick + simple to whip up. You can also make this vegan. Once you get the broth and cream [or any dairy free milk] in you just set it and "forget it," [not really] and work on that yummy grilled cheese in the meantime.
I make a whole pot of this soup definitely late summer into the cold winter. It hits the spot and is truly satisfying. If you have a ton of tomatoes left from your summer harvest, this is a great time for red Italian sauce or this classic recipe.
This summer my gal pal, Allison, brought me at least 3 pints of tomatoes (along with bags of rainbow chard, kale, tomatillos and jalepeños) about 3-4 times from July-early September; great for summer dishes like caprese salad or tacos, however I was looking forward in making and jarring my own sauces!
Okay, I think you get the point. I LOVE TOMATO SOUP. Enjoy!
- 4 medium-large fresh, whole tomatoes [4 cups]
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 large can of Roma tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth [unsalted]
- 1 cup of heavy cream [or any dairy free milk]
- salt+pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar [white vinegar works too]
- 1 small carrot chopped
- 1 tbsp parsely
LET'S GET COOKIN':
- In a dutch oven or large pot, cook extra virgin olive oil, garlic cloves, onion, carrot and tomatoes on a medium heat until onions soften.
- Next, add canned tomatoes and vinegar then cover.
- After about 10 minutes add broth and cream.
- Stir then bring to boil or cook for another 20-30 minutes on a medium to low heat.
- Remove from heat.
- Using a hand held blender, carefully blend all ingredient and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Keep blending until smooth.
- Serve hot with a side of crusty, buttery grilled cheese, grilled crostini, or sour cream.